Houston Finance

Sep 30 2017

Child Development Program #master #degree #in #child #development




Child Development offers programs for career and transfer students. Certificates of Performance, Certificates of Achievement and an Associate of Science Degree are available to students interested in a range of child development opportunities and in meeting the requirements for the State of California Child Development permits and the California State Department of Social Services, Title 22, Community Care Licensing.

Program Emphasis

The Child Development program offers course work, training and supervised practicum experiences to meet state licensing requirements for working in centers, schools, childcare homes and service related agencies. This skills and knowledge gained in beginning courses provide the framework and foundation for more specialized courses.

*and courses to meet graduation requirements, general education and electives as needed to meet the minimum of 60 units required for the degree.

Career Options

The San Diego Community College District offers an Associate of Science Degree, Certificates of Achievement and Performance, and transfer options in the field of Child Development/Early Childhood Education. The Assistant Teacher Certificate of Performance prepares students to work in public and private childcare settings. The Home Day Care Certificate of Performance provides student with skills and knowledge for childcare in family settings. The Associate Teacher, Teacher, and Master Teacher Certificates of Achievement, prepare students for higher levels of instructional positions and meet the requirements for the State of California Child Development Permits. The Child Development Associate in Science Degree prepares students for positions as teacher, master teacher and director in the field of Child Development/Early Childhood Education.

program Learning Outcomes

Students who complete the Child Development Program will be able to:

  • Develop the ability to anticipate, recognize and successfully work with various learning styles and abilities of children with different needs.
  • Apply their knowledge of children’s physical, intellectual, social and emotional development to set up a stimulating learning environment and design a multicultural curriculum that involves age-appropriate activities.
  • Assess, compare and contrast the ways in which families, childcare facilities, schools, peer groups and the community act as socializing agents for the developing child.
  • Participate in student teaching and child observations to better understand behavior management and learn effective problem solving and conflict resolution.
  • Develop the skills to meet the state of CA licensing requirements for working in centers, schools and child care homes as teachers, administrators or supervisors.

Students will be assessed through a combination of performance evaluations, written assignments, and written tests and quizzes.

Certificate of Performance*

*A Certificate of Performance is a departmental award that does not appear on the student’s transcript. All courses must be completed within the San Diego Community College District.

Assistant Teacher*

This Certificate of Performance prepares students to assist in the instruction of children under the supervision of an Associate Teacher or higher instructor.

Child Development

This degree prepares students to provide instruction to children and supervise Assistant and Associate Teachers. Child Development courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or better. Additional general education and graduation requirements are listed in the Academic Requirements section of this catalog. The Associate Degree requires a minimum of 60 units.

Courses Required for the Major:

Transfer Information

Students planning to transfer to a four-year college or university should complete courses required for the university major and the general education pattern required by that transfer institution. See catalog TRANSFER INFORMATION section. Additional courses may be required to meet university lower-division requirements.

Course requirements at the transfer institution are subject to change and may be verified by a counselor or by consulting the current university catalog. Many Baccalaureate in Arts degrees require third semester competency in a foreign language. Consult the current catalog of the transfer institution and consult with a counselor.

Written by admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *